Do I really need a transportation safety program?
When you’re weighing the importance of dedicating time and resources to transportation safety, consider these alarming statistics:
- Traffic accidents are the #1 way to die on the job, in all business sectors
- In the United States, roughly 50,000 people die in vehicle crashes each year
- Every 12 minutes someone dies in a motor vehicle crash
- Every 10 seconds an injury occurs, and every 5 seconds a crash occurs
Source: Missouri State Highway Patrol
What’s the real cost of traffic accidents?
The costs of traffic accidents go far beyond the damages to the vehicle itself, especially when you consider these indirect areas of impact:
- Group health insurance costs
- Effects on family members
- Loss in productivity
- Skills replacement
- Tight employment market
- Cost of hiring new employees
The average workers compensation cost associated with a non-fatal vehicle accident is $31,000 and the average cost of a FATAL vehicle accident is $468,000. Use the Costs of Motor Vehicle Crashes worksheet to calculate the potential costs to your company.