Do I really need a safety program?
When you’re weighing the importance of dedicating time and resources to safety, consider these reasons:
- Schools are plagued with preventable strains, sprains and falls.
- Schools experience most of their claims in food service, custodial work, and maintenance.
- Teachers must also be prepared for sudden student violence or aggression.
- On average, a $1,000 claim could cost a district an extra $1,400 in premium.
- On average a $5,000 claim could cost a district an extra $7,500 in premium.
Source: Missouri Employers Mutual Insurance
What’s the real cost of workplace injury?
The impact of workplace injury and illness extends far beyond the costs of medical care, especially when you consider these indirect areas of impact:
- Reputation in the community
- Group health insurance costs
- Effects on family members
- Loss in productivity
- Skill replacement
- Tight employment market
- Cost of hiring new staff
According to data compiled by Missouri Employers Mutual Insurance, the average cost of a lost-time claim is over $20,000—a cost that could easily be avoided through a genuine commitment to workplace safety.